Thursday, October 10, 2013

Zionist Juice

I spent some time in Israel in the 90s. Not a lot of time you understand, but long enough to experience Israeli Juice. As a general rule I'd say it's very nice. The fresh kind that come from the grapefruits that grow on the slopes of Mount Gilboa was my favourite. We used to drink it with a stack of these tiny baked sugar-biscuits that were just the right level of sweetness to counteract the squinge-inducing sourness of the very fresh, newly picked grapefruit. In retrospect I think I preferred the biscuits to the juice, but maybe one was nothing without the other.

Later on, after leaving Israel, I would often come across Israeli Juice in stores and would drink it without question, until one day an acquaintance asked me how it felt to "collude in the Zionist Illuminati Conspiracy" and I had to put my glass down and then find a coaster because I was at someone else's house and I didn't want to leave a ring.

I don't consider myself a supporter of shadowy quasi-Kabbalic forces or even an advocate of sustained and regimented citrus farming. I do however consider myself to be a human who enjoys the running the gamut of her entire range of taste buds. Juice is just juice. There's bad juice, and good juice, there's even anti-Zionist Juice which tastes complex and saline and delightfully of rue. I think the key is to just take the Juice as it comes and make up your mind through experience.

And get some of the those little biscuits. They were amazing.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Ribena is overrated...

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home