Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Nice Buttons

When I was a child my Mother had a fantastic collection of buttons she used to keep in an old powdered milk tin. There was no milk in the tin any more, just buttons, but that didn't stop our pleasure in opening it and emptying the contents on the kitchen table to examine.



Some of the buttons were sparkly and pretty, but most of them were fairly nondescript. I remember there were a few that looked vaguely like jam tarts, but I suspect that the resemblance was more childhood affectation that reality. They still had holes through the middle and most jam tarts tend not to have.

One Christmas my brother swallowed three of the buttons and had to suffer the indignity of a elderly doctor's fingers up his rectum to retrieve them from his colon, where they had summarily lodged. I remember the doctor was elderly, because I have a clear picture in my mind's eye of his snow white moustache flecked with colonic debris after he had completed the task. 

My brother rarely ate buttons again after this incident.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home